William R. Landry
- Partner, 1986, 1986
- Real Estate Litigation
- Land Use
- Environmental Law
- Health Care
- Health Insurance Law
William R. Landry is an experienced trial lawyer who has been a partner in the firm since it was established in 1986, having previously been a litigation associate with the Providence firm of Edwards & Angell. As part of a wide-ranging civil litigation practice, he has considerable experience in commercial and real estate litigation, and land use and environmental law and litigation.
Mr. Landry has extensive experience representing clients in connection with commercial and residential land development projects in Rhode Island and Massachusetts and in dealing with the planning, permitting and litigation issues relating thereto. His land use law clients have included multi-national development firms and construction companies as well as individual landowners. He has been recognized as a Rhode Island Super Lawyer and New England Super Lawyer for Land Use/Zoning, and is designated in the Best Lawyers In America list for land use law. He has also been designated by Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly as a Lawyer of the Year.
Mr. Landry has represented clients before permitting authorities in every city and town in Rhode Island (and many in Massachusetts) as well as the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management and the Rhode Island Coastal Resources Management Council. He also serves as land use counsel to the Rhode Island Builders Association.
Mr. Landry also has extensive experience litigating business disputes, including state and federal court litigation and arbitration, with particular emphasis on disputes arising from real estate and construction projects and complex commercial litigation. Other areas of his practice include contract litigation and partnership disputes. Mr. Landry also provides services as outside general counsel to a Rhode Island based health insurance company, handling their litigation and dealing with state insurance regulators, antitrust, and ERISA issues.
Mr. Landry has been a frequent lecturer and author of published materials on real estate development and permitting law issues; and civil litigation practice and procedure. He has also been an active member of the Rhode Island Bar Association for many years, serving on the editorial board for the Rhode Island Bar Journal and on the Superior Court Bench/Bar Committee and Environmental Law Committee. He is also a member of the Rhode Island Trial Lawyers Association and the St. Thomas More Society of Rhode Island.
Mr. Landry also serves on the America Arbitration Association's panel of arbitrators for commercial and construction cases and large complex cases.
Mr. Landry received his Bachelor's degree summa cum laude from the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth and is a cum laude graduate of Boston University School of Law (1980). He is admitted to practice before the State and Federal Courts and administrative agencies in Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. - 1980
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth, Massachusetts
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1980
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Rhode Island, 1980
- Massachusetts, 1980
- U.S. District Court District of Rhode Island, 1982
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- Rhode Island Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- American Arbitration Association
- Rhode Island Builders Association, Land Use Counsel
- Rhode Island Bar Association, Member
- St. Thomas More Society of Rhode Island, Member
- Rhode Island Bar Journal, Editorial Board, Superior Court Bench/Bar Committee and Environmental Law Committee
- America Arbitration Association, Panel of Arbitrators
- Rhode Island Super Lawyer
- New England Super Lawyer
- Best Lawyers In America
- Lawyer of the Year, Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly
- Edwards & Angell, Providence, Litigation Associate